Coconut Rice with Mangoes
Serves 4-6 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 35 mins | Total Time: 45 mins
In contrast to the bold flavors of our coconut curry recipe this month, we’re presenting an easy-to-make-at-home spin on the classic Thai desert: sticky rice with mangoes. To make the authentic version, you need to find Thai sticky rice (aka “sweet rice”), which usually can only be found in Asian grocery stores. However, we can recreate the delicately sweet coconutty taste by changing the recipe and using jasmine rice, available everywhere.
This recipe is as easy to make as boiling rice (well, it is boiling rice!). A key to this recipe is finding and serving ripe mangoes. If you’ve never purchased mangoes, ask your grocer to help you select a ripe one or you can find a link on choosing ripe mangoes on this page below. You might also serve with ripe strawberries. Garnish each serving with a sprig of mint.
- 1.5 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can (14.5 oz) coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large, ripe mango, sliced into wedges or cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tsp Piquant Post Kaffir Lime powder
- sprigs of mint for garnish (optional)
- Garnish this dish with sprigs (or chopped) fresh mint.
- Here is a link on how to select ripe mangoes in the market. Peel the mango with a vegetable peeler or if its too soft, use a paring knife to gently slice the peel from the fruit.
- Optional ingredients add a little character and flavor but don’t sweat it if you don’t have them.
Alternatives & Substitutions
- If you are cutting back on refined sugar, try using a couple tablespoons of agave nectar in its place.
- You can also substitute in a can of light coconut milk to cut back on calories.
- For a berry twist, slice up and serve fresh strawberries with this dish.
- Finally, if mangoes aren’t available (or ripe) in your neighborhood, just substitute strawberries for mangoes.
- Don’t forget to leave comments and feedback on your meals and experiments in the comments for others to read.
- Post pictures of your masterpiece meal on social media and tag us. We repost!