Perfect Beef Tacos
Serves 4-6 | Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 30 mins
We considered trying to be different and offering a Mexican theme with a variety of traditional recipes and skipping one for tacos, but then we came to our senses. Who doesn’t love perfect beef tacos? Although ground beef tacos are an Americanized version of the Mexican staple, you’ll find that our taco spice blend provides bold flavors for this weeknight favorite and is flexible enough to spice up any protein you prefer.
Mexican style tacos are typically served on smaller corn tortillas and often feature fish, chicken, pork, or steak. Each of these fillings may be seasoned differently, so we worked hard to develop a blend of spices and herbs that delivers bold Mexican flavors to satisfy any type of Taco Tuesday craving. Use our Taco Elixir spice blend to season meats, fish, soups, stews, or another dish where you want to add a hint of Mexico. Alternatives include lamb, flank steak, ground turkey, or even sweet potatoes! We also added a fresh salsa recipe for the perfect beef taco topper.
- 1 lb of lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of low-salt beef or vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp Piquant Post Taco Elixir spice blend
- 2 tbsp olive (or vegetable) oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 12 small soft corn tortillas
Pico de Gallo (optional salsa):
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- 1 Serrano chile, minced (jalapeño if you desire heat)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- Our Taco Elixir Spice blend has some heat in it from cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. Use less of the spice if you’re extra sensitive to heat.
- Once the taco filling is done cooking, cover your tortillas with a wet paper towel and microwave for 30 secs to warm.
- Tacos are meant to be a canvas to add filings of your desire. We like pickled jalapenos and red onions, chopped canned green chiles, shredded romaine, and even chopped, par-boiled baby carrots.
- If you prefer hard taco shells, fill your shells with cooked taco meat and bake them in the oven for 7-10 mins at 350 deg to give them the perfect crunch.
- Optional ingredients add a little character and flavor but don’t sweat it if you don’t have them.
Alternatives & Substitutions
- Our Taco Elixir spice is a great all-around blend for just about any protein. Use it to season meats, fish, soups, stews, or another dish where you want to add a hint of Mexico.
- If you prefer chicken tacos, slice chicken breasts into small chunks, season, and bake or pan roast. Alternatives include lamb, flank steak, ground turkey, or even sweet potatoes!
- On a paleo or gluten-free diet? Sub the tortillas for lettuce wraps to make paleo perfect beef tacos. Or make a perfect beef taco salad.
- Vegetarians and those getting ready for “Meatless Mondays” can use our Taco Elixir blend to create a batch of vegetarian tacos. Here’s 9 meatless taco ideas. Use our Taco Elixir in place of any spices/seasoning in the recipe.
- Don’t forget to leave comments and feedback on your meals and experiments in the comments for others to read.
- Post pictures of your masterpiece meal on social media and tag us. We repost!